10/21/07

180) John's Birthday

October 20, 2007
Saturday

Morning:
Shayna’s soccer team played the Blue Angels this morning and came out of it with a 2-2 tie. It was a brightly cool morning of coffee, dewy fresh cut lawns, and brisk soccer… made even better by having Johnny on the sidelines with us. A good game, in that Shayna played aggressively and made some good defensive plays. I hallucinate that she
is playing extra hard for her brother. Kick Kats scored first and then the Angels scored twice and finally, the Kick Kats’ Kiki ran straight through their goalie to score the final goal! Today is son John’s 23rd birthday--> and he came into town last night for the weekend. We took him out to eat at my new favorite restaurant, Sazon* and then got him up early this morning for the 8 a.m. game. After the game we rushed home to say “goodbye” to Ann, our house-guest from Baton Rouge when Frank picked her up. Frank invited Johnny to go on one of his sailing ventures sometime, and then Johnny and I went over to our taco palace for breakfast tacos and cinnamon rolls. We hung out, did his laundry, visited, inspected the back 40 fencing plans, and generally had a good father-son tete-a-tete for the rest of the morning. It is never long enough though and as I got ready for dialysis, John headed out to his mom’s house for the rest of the weekend. I tried to get him to check his oil on Kim's old Honda but his zen existence of living in the present couldn't be slowed by the detour of getting back out of the driver's seat of his life to check the oil. That's an old person's tao. We grin at each other and he hot rods down the street like a little blue bug running for his life.

El Milagro:
I walk in slightly after 1 p.m. and walk around looking at all the TV’s for the Texas / Baylor game. John the New Guy says it’s not on TV so I settle in to my chair and settle for watching OU / ISU. None of the nurses come by today to listen to my heart and feel my ankles. Jason comes over to cannulate me with his usual cautious and gentle feels and pokes and checks and questions: “Does that feel okay?” as he pulls blood into a syringe
and pushes it back… pulls it out and pushes it back… “Yeah. Smooth." These checks are to ensure the needle is set well in the middle of the vein and not rubbing up against the side. I watch the game for awhile and ISU is looking much better than last week against Texas.

I surf the channels and find an interes
ting news item on CNN: The Dalai Lama accepting the Congressional Gold Medal (last Wednesday). Listening to his talk reminds me that he is an exemplar of graciousness and love of humanity. He concluded his speech by asking us to “take a leadership role (to) …address …global issues from the perspective of the oneness of humanity, and from a profound understanding of the deeply interconnected nature of our today’s world.” As all great spiritual beings, I feel moved just listening to his voice. So, this is an uplifting experience as I sit here having my blood cleaned. So it goes.

Notes: In at 74.4 and out at 72.4 kgs.
* Sazon online at: http://www.sazonaustin.com

** His Holiness’ Speech at the Congressional Gold Medal Award Ceremony, retrieved online October 2007 from the Dalai Lama’s website: http://www.dalailama.com/news.171.htm

New Readers: For A Welcome Post, click August 2006 on the Sidebar

No comments: