4/18/20

465) The Impact of Social Isolation During COVID-19

April 18, 2020
Saturday

State of the Household: As I woke up this morning my first thought was, "I wish we still had cartoons on Saturday mornings". This thought immediately indicated to me that I was beginning the day reminiscing about simpler times or unstuck in reality.  

Six weeks of social distancing by sheltering in place with daily reminders about how many people "now" have the corona-virus, and how many died from COVID-19 increase my anxiety about life.  It is one thing to have anxiety about MY health and situation, yet on some level I can keep a sense of control.  I take my daily meds, keep up with the doctors' recommendations, eat healthy, and follow my blood pressure.  These give me some sense of being the captain of my vessel.  

Fear and anxiety about "catching" the coronavirus is like sailing my fairly ship shape boat out into a dark sea of danger: where there are unknown, unpredictable, and potentially deadly toxins.  To make matters worse, the current weather service administration has
has added to people's mistrust and confusion about what is accurate and real. Are there enough tests? Is it safe for folks to begin going out into the now empty world? Will the pandemic level off with relaxing the Stay Home recommendations? 

Saturday morning cartoons were a "safe" metaphor of children's perspective of reality; where images of the uncertainty and fear about the present and the future didn't have much of a hold on young minds (aside from the worry about "the A Bomb" bursting our bubble).

Our concern for our health... My anxiety for MY health is one motivator for maintaining all the suggestions the "experts" make for staying safe

No comments: