8/16/06

42) Another Day Another Dialysis

August 15, 2006
Tuesday

El Milagro:
Carol cannulated me today: another smooth, professional stick. I am reviewing an article for the Children in Schools Journal: a study of protective factors for Hispanic youth in schools. It is well written and shows some important variables to consider in increasing youth’s resiliency so I am suggesting they accept it for publication.

Also am continuing to read my dad’s book and marveling at the job he did in producing it. Jennifer the Dietician comes up to get me to sign off on our plan and I report that I am still enchilada-free for the time being. She says, “I hope that’s the ticket to your decrease in phosphorus and we will see the results this Thursday.”

I’m thinking that right now that Johnny is in Oakland waiting to board his flight to Honolulu. I imagine him walking around the airport looking for the right gate and thinking about what he can eat that is cheap. He arrives in Hawaii at 8 pm their time; 1 am our time.

Notes: In at 74.3 Kg. and out at 72.1 Kg.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

August 15, 2006

Dear Jack:

Thank you for your sincere words and for expressing your concern about the progress of the Living Kidney Organ Donation Clarification Act. I appreciate your willingness to share your personal story with me.

S. 2306, which would amend the National Organ Transplant Act to clarify that paired kidney donation and kidney list donation do not involve the transfer of a human organ for valuable consideration, has been stuck in committee since February of this year; no companion House legislation has yet been introduced. While there are just a few work days left in the legislative year, be assured that I support measures such as this one to assist those with kidney disease and remain hopeful that next year's Congressional leadership will devote more attention to these very important health issues.

You may be interested to know that I am a member of the Congressional Kidney Caucus, a bipartisan group who advocate for individuals suffering from kidney disease and educate members of Congress and the public about kidney disease and its related problems. This caucus provides an excellent forum in which to discuss new ideas and to identify opportunities to address kidney disease through legislation.

I am also a sponsor of the Kidney Care Quality and Improvement Act (H.R. 1298), which would increase financial incentives for employing best practices for kidney disease patients. This bill would improve the benefits under Medicare for beneficiaries with kidney disease, including the home-dialysis benefit, as well as establish the End-Stage Renal Disease Advisory Committee, which would deliberate and make recommendations for legislation affecting kidney disease patients. This bill would represent a major step towards improving advanced care for many of those suffering from end-stage renal disease.

Please know that I will continue to support better quality care for those with end-stage renal disease and I will support S. 2306 should it reach the floor for a vote.

Please keep me advised of any federal matters with which I may be of assistance.


Sincerely,
Lloyd

---------------
U.S. Representative Lloyd Doggett
201 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 225-4865, (956) 687-5921, (512) 916-5921
http://www.house.gov/doggett