7/25/08

261) Cell Phones & Cancer

July 24, 2008
Thursday

El Milagro: I am on time today and Rosie the Tech has put me in my favorite corner. Amanda the Angelic comes over with her usual smiles and alohas and carefully cannulates me. One of the new nurses whose name escapes me comes by to do my nursing eval and I settle in to reading my Bush Book and listening to NPR. Rosie comes by with a "good bye" card for me to sign for Ron the Nurse, who is transferring over to work under Herman at the S. Austin center.

I read and doze and pick up the news from Charlie Gibson, reporting on Obama taking Berlin, Costco raising prices, our Texas hurricaine, and cell phones and cancer. Ah yes... cell phones and cancer*. I have been warning the world about this problem for years now. Here we have a great example of industry (cell phone companies) ignoring research that might hurt sales of their products in the favor of making huge piles of money selling phones that do everything but make your bed. And "they" will continue to sell these cancer-causing devices until the tumors are creeping outa people's ears and swallowing the phones themselves. Should the government interfere? Who will favor backing off the cell phone craze? Even if there is something to worry about with this new data from Dr. Herberman can anyone imagine it changing the mass production and marketing of this product? Boy, this guy's got nerve, messing with the cell phone industry. Reminds me of the first few folks who suggested that cigarettes might be unhealthy.

As a consumer in a product-driven society I have always mistrusted the salesman. There is an ongoing conflict of purpose between the people selling the product and the people protecting people from the salespeople. Lets see, that could be the same conflict we know as the argument about "big government". Who is it that traditionally has stepped up to 'protect' folks from being bilked if not the government? There are usually some "do-gooder" groups out there like Nader's Raiders but even they are usually pushing the government to do something to protect folks. And they are always standing up to 'big business' who wants to sell you a cell phone and then probably tape all your conversations and send them to George Bush... just kidding. Okay. I'm waxing sentimental... remembering the old "radical" days of over-excited rantings and ravings about changing the world to construct utopia.

"It just goes to show ya... it's always something!"**

Notes: In at 77.2 and out at 74.2 Kgs.
* New Warning: Cell Phone Use and Cancer? Retreived online from ABC News at http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory?id=5436718
**Quote: Roseanne Roseannadanna, retrieved from Wikepedia online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roseanne_Roseannadanna

No comments: