11/2/08

294) A Katie Visit on Halloween

November 1, 2008
Saturday


El Milagro:
Ann the Nurse called me this morning and set up a time for my chair and then I stopped by the office and then I was 15 minutes late. Oh well. I arrive and Gladys the Tech sticks me expertly while Rosie the Tech is checking out my Halloween photos of the kids and our visit to David's Druid Village last night. She too has heard about the village and is planning to go see it tonight.

I'm listening to Ed
Miller's Folkways, relaxing into my chair, and remembering the events of the last few days. With Liz out of town at CSWE I have been a soccer mom, picking Shayna up from an after-school party, supervising she and her friends thru trick-or-treating, getting the friends back to their dens, and getting Shayna up and ready for an 8 a.m. soccer game this morning. I am glad that Liz is usually around to do these things and note to thank her again for all she does for the family. The game this morning was difficult: Kick Kats tied 0-0 and the other team was ecstatic to do so well... while our girls were a little down about not winning. Shayna passed on going to get breakfast tacos with everyone, saying she just wanted to go home and take a nap.

Rather than g
oing to a friend's house, she is staying 'home alone' during my dialysis, which means I call her every so often to check on her. Before I even have a chance, she calls me and says now she wants to go to Maya's and spend the day. We negotiate about homework and I say okay, and now I don't have to worry about her home aloneness.

Last nig
ht I was just about to fall asleep on the couch, with the "awesome foursome" upstairs doing something that made no noise... and me wondering how long I could let them 'play' before calling a halt to the fun... when I hear someone come in and imagine it is one of the foursome's parents. No. It's Katie the Daughter, here to visit! I pry my eyes open and lay there facing up to her smiley face for awhile, while she shares her plans for going to Germany at Spring Break (her friend says its a lot like Austin), her fears about the economy (its wrecking her generation's chances), changing jobs (the management is all jerks these days), moving back to Austin and attending ACC (more affordable than TSU), and so on. I am listening and waking up to the fact that she is actually here and talking (highly unusual for this offspring).

So, now
I am sitting her listening to Irish folk music and replaying last night's Katie visit and smiling about seeing her; wishing I was more alive and awake when she came over. Maybe if she is living in Austin we will see more of her.

I drift off for a nap with the Katie thoughts rolling around in my little brain... and wake up some time
later, no longer interested in Folkways. Turn on the TV and almost immediately find a movie (no Saturday football today) to watch that meets my movie criteria... airplanes or old cars and starting at the beginning. I find Six Days, Seven Nights* with Anne Heche & Harrison Ford, which I've seen before and am willing to watch again here today. The timing on this movie is just right... it finishes right at the time I finish.

For the
last 20 minutes I have some slight cramping and finally Gladys comes over to unhook me and patch me up. My BP is a little low... 99/65 and we wait til it comes up to 105 before I leave. I have just enough time to grab a Dan's Burger on my way home to watch the Texas/Texas Tech game.

Notes: In at 76.6 and out at 74.6

* 6 Days, 7 Nights retrieved online from All Movie Guide, at http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:162688
Halloween Pictures:










No comments: