9/8/06

51) The Phosphorous Report II

September 7, 2006
Thursday

El Milagro:
I had to wait about 30 minutes to get my chair today. Melanie (a relief, or part time worker whose been doing this for 17 years) cannulated me today. I conferred with Jennifer the Dietician today about my last lab work. She reported that my phosphorous is down to 6.1 which is good, but not good enough (it should be at 5.5 or less). My calcium count is good. Also, my PTH intact (the most important regulator of body calcium and phosphorus, is a protein hormone secreted by the parathyroid gland.*) is still very high at 893 (controlled by the Sensipar). Normal is 300. We agreed that I should continue taking 3 PhosLo and 5 Renagel at each meal and two Sensipar after dinner until my next lab, next Tuesday.**

Also, we discussed my sporadic nauseousness in the mornings and she is thinking that I should be checking my blood pressure in the mornings because the nausea probably isn’t related to the PhosLo or Renagel but might be in response to discontinuing my nightly BP medicine. So, I’m back to checking and recording BP for awhile. It’s always gonna be something.

Notes: In at 73.6 Kg. and out at 71.4 Kg. (157 lbs).

New readers: see an orientation to this blog at Post # 47 in August.
* Juan, D. (2006) PTH. Retrieved September 7 online from Medline Plus at
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003690.htm
** See Post # 34 in April for more on phosphorous

No comments: