9/17/06

54) Goodbye Ann Richards

September 14, 2006
Thursday

El Milagro:
I got to the center almost 15 minutes early today and of course… they were about 30 minutes late, so I got to wait in the waiting room with all the other waiters, who were griping about why we were all late. We all knew why the staff is late: it’s the fault of the new streamlining computerization of the clip board sheets (See post #53). When I finally get in, Carol cannulates me and we commensurate about Ann Richards’ passing. On the news,
Ron Oliveira and Judy Maggio spend a whole half hour special on Ann Richards and her importance to Texas*. Ann opened the doors for minorities in state government, appointing more women, African Americans, and Hispanics than all the previous governors combined. She was a model of the common woman entering politics and rising to the top job. She was a true populist Democrat and she will be missed by all of us who believe in government by the people, of the people, and for the people. Ann was truly reachable and everyone who met her felt an immediate bond. I remember that Lizzie told me once about meeting Ann on a Southwest flight to Dallas. Ann sat across the isle and talked to Liz and her sister at length about planning Jennifer’s wedding. Her advice, based on planning weddings for her own children, was “Elope!”.

One of Dr. Moritz’s minions, with Ron the Nurse and Jennifer the Dietician, came by rolling the rack of 4-inch thick blue patient binders to ask if I needed anything and we talked for a few minutes. I asked for a long-term prescription for Phoslo and asked J the D about my recent lab results: they are better but not great she reminds me about tracking my BP in the mornings. Ah yes, I must do that.

Also, since I got in so late, I get to watch the whole new Survivor before I get unhooked. This new season in the Cook Islands has raised some people’s ire because the show has teamed survivors by cultural/racial identity: African Americans, Latinos, Whites, and Asians. I wonder about how big a percentage of the whites are white, since many have a splattering of other racial genetic histories. The first episode is interesting enough, with each of the cultural groups asking the question, “Is this a good idea and can we work together to win?” We’ll see what the Nielsens say.

In thinking about death and life I remember Eleanor Roosevelt’s saying, “Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.”

Notes: In at 73.3 Kg. and out at 70.5 Kg.
* KEYE Slide Shows (2006) Retrieved Sept. 16 from
http://keyetv.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_256231532

No comments: