9/22/06

57) French Fried Pigeon Holes

September 21, 2006
Thursday

El Milagro:
Diane stuck me today. I dozed and woke up before the news. One of the staff walked by and mentioned, “The collective is coming”. Of course, I had already seen them: Dr. Moritz, Ron the Nurse, and Jennifer the Dietician making their rounds. Moritz was smiling a lot and seemingly joking with his patients while Ron and Jennifer stood on either side of him, like lieutenants waiting for orders.

When they got to me, I leaned forward and shook Moritz’s hand and said something like “how ya doing big boy.”, to which he replied, “fine, how about you?”. Jennifer the Dietician reported on my last lab work, concluding that my phosphorous is coming down, etc. Dr. Moritz said, “Good. Stay the course.”, or maybe just nodded his head… I can’t remember which. I told them I was responsible for my potassium going up by cheating on French fries and J the D said, “It’s not that high” and then cautioned me that French fries also have phosphorous. Moritz just frowned and shook his head.

I only got to see half of Survivor tonight but I knew the heavy metal guy was doomed from the start. Is that a sign? In his little speech after being voted off, he said, “I would’ve done better if there was a heavy metal (cultural) group” and that got me to thinking… when an external entity selects your “culture” for you they usually do it on different variables than those upon which you would self-select yourself. The lesson here is to ask and listen to how people describe their culture rather than pigeon-hole them by your own definitions. And that’s the way I see it.

Notes: In at 73.6 Kg. and out at 71.8 Kg.

No comments: