11/13/06

73) That Great Election Day

November 7, 2006
Tuesday

El Milagro:
I got in a few minutes late today, which was okay because it took the techs about 15 minutes before they could get to me, since all 4 o’clocks are coming in at the same time. Carol cannulated me smoothly… this is generally becoming like a non-consequential habit and I am getting tired of writing about it here every time; “So and so stuck me...blah blah blah…” It’s becoming such a normal thing that if it were a individual, personal thing I would say it’s like zipping up my pants or turning out the light
or unplugging the flatiron. These are things that I do automatically and usually don’t give them a second thought. Getting cannulated is now like these things except it takes two people. So, I guess I could say its like saying “Hello” or shaking hands, which I generally do with another person. When I am saying “Hello” to myself that might be worth writing about. These situations are usually automatic behaviors subconsciously executed without much thought. Since getting stuck has become like shaking hands, it seems rather obtuse to write about it every time I write these posts. So, maybe that part will drift out of these writings.

These days I am reconsidering what I do want to write about in these posts. I do want to continue writing about my experiences in dialysis… perhaps just not so specifically that I am writing down every little thing that happens, like a process recording.

Today is election day and being here and watching the election returns is exactly what I want to do; even though the Texas election scene isn’t like the rest of the country. Nothin’ in Texas is like the rest of the country, although Austin comes closer. In my district, all Democrats won: Lloyd Doggett, Valinda Bolton, and Mark Strama. On the state scene it looks like both Friedman and Strayhorn took some votes from Chris Bell; and the staunch Republicans all went for Perry. I was surprised at Bell’s showing though… and he mighta coulda won if it hadn’t been for the votes to the independents. It looks like we are in for another governatorial term of social service cuts (Perry’s 10% per agency cut) and Medicaid graft (Accenture Fiasco). We’ll see what the legislature does next session.

Butch Hancock wrote this year’s election song; That Great Election Day


“Who’s gonna be the master and who’s gonna be the slave
On that day… on that great election day?
Who’s gonna vote their conscience… and who’s gonna count the votes
On that day… on that great election day?

Get your little body to the pollin’ place and mark your ballot well
Sit yourself down in a votin’ booth and mark your ballots well
On that day… on that great election day.


Now I ain’t gonna vote for a man or woman who’s full of lies and fear
No no… ain’t gonna vote for man nor woman who’s full of lies and fear
I ain’t gonna vote for man nor beast who’s full of lies and fear
On that day… on that great election day.

I’ll save my vote for a man or woman who has a plan for peace
I’ll save my vote for a man or woman who lives and works for peace
I’m gonna vote for a man or woman who’s heart is aimed at peace
On that day… on that great election day”

No comments: