3/9/12

426) Annual Post-transplant Meeting

March 9, 2012
Friday

NAMC:  Before appointment with Dr. Lewis Liz and I met with David the social worker to discuss Medicare, Liz's insurance, and planning for re-applying for Medicare in July.  David looked thru my record and the three year anniversary is today, not tomorrow.  According to David they count the date as when they first cut you open, not when you wake up.  

So, Happy Birthday Mordechai the Miracle Kidney!  Three years old today! David helped us by explaining all the details about Medicare parts A, B, C, and D; Medigap, and everything else we need to know to make an informed plan for July.  And then we headed over to meet with Dr. Lewis. 

Maxine came in to check my vitals and my BP was way high... checked again little later and it was down to 150/80... but still way higher than when I check it at home.  Maybe the coffee I drank while waiting for this appt.  She left and the new coordinator, Patty came in and introduced herself and shared that "RN" stands for "registered nag" and she nagged me about exercise and drinking plenty of water.  She did say, upon looking at the data, that the fact that I turned in 1300 ml of urine from my 24-hour collection last Sunday suggests that I am drinking a good amount of water.  She remarked that I should be drinking 200 liters a day.  She also reported that my Creatinine was 1.3 and that my glucose was 131, which is a bit high but okay since I wasn't fasting before I went in for Labs last Monday.  So, her verdict:
1) drink 200 liters of water a day, and
2) walk at a brisk pace for 20 minutes a day.


Dr. Lewis came in and shared that "you look the best I have ever seen you." to which I said something like; "you always say that"; to which he replied, "no. I mean really.  You look great!  Your creatinine is good, your cholesterol is low, and you really look good."  


He is lowering my Crestor from 1 & 1/2 to 1/2 a day!  Wants to check it in 4 weeks.  Talked to me a little about my BP and asked that I take it daily for awhile... and we made another appointment for 4 months.  Liz and I were delighted about the feedback.  So it goes...


No comments: