4/9/08

233) My Atrophied Little Finger

April 8, 2008
Tuesday


El Milagro:
Get here 20 minutes late… surprising since I have been rushing all day; starting in Plano this morning at a consulting gig. I left Plano at 11 and actually made it to Enterprise to return a car and then zipped over to see Dr. Race for a 3 o’clock appt. Dr. Race is referring me to a hand surgeon, Dr. Lona, since my atrophied little finger has gotten beyond where he feels comfortable tackling the operation. What I like about Race is he is personable, friendly, and down-to-earth… so I hassle him a little about referring me to “the best” guy, which I quip, “all the docs always say”.


John the Reader calls me over to discuss last night’s championship game… we both think it was one of the best games in years and we are both happy about Kansas win
ning. I share about my ‘brackets’ (I picked Kansas to win it all) and John shares about his family connection to Kansas and friend connection to Memphis.

Pretty soon Rosie the Tech calls me over to my chair to set me up and sit me down. As she is checking my BP and getting ready to stick me she tells me the story of her weekend trip to Houston with her cirrhosis brother and describes her frustration in dealing with his selfishness; “none of your crosses are mine to bear”. I’m a bit confused so I agree and listen to her and reflect how frustrating it must be. She goes on for about 10 minutes while sticking me and we conclude that what goes round comes round and the way he treats people will ultimately come back and bite him in the butt.


I settle in to writing up some notes about my TA trip to CITY House and then writing this material and then listening to NPR, etc. as always.


Watch the
news, kick off my shoes, and take a snooze: I am tired from two days of travel, eating rich foods, and drinking too much liquids on my trip. When I do trainings or consulting I get thirsty so I drink more on those days than the recommended 32 ounces, making me a bit puffy in the hands.

I end up watching Cracking the Maya Code on PBS and am fascinated at the amount of sleuthing it takes to translate these beautiful hieroglyphs. And, so it goes here and Now.


Notes:
In at 77.9 and out at 75.0 Kgs.

New Readers:
For an INDEX, click January 2008 on the Sidebar and page down to post # 207.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jack, all right. i've gotten to post 107, 1 march 2007. interesting, often as much for what you don't say as for what you do. there are contradictions that you don't deal with that you should, not because you can solve the contradiction, but because you/we probably need to be aware of the contradiction. for instance, discussing donees, you would prefer to have do- gooders receive organs than professional athletes. yet, you spend a good bit of time watching sports played, i assume, by people who hope desperately to become professional. your own daughters are terribly athletic. should they become professional athletes? and have these athletes you watch not done you good? not terribly important, but interesting and a way into a perhaps deeper understanding of what the difficulties are in trying to understand ethical dilemmas when the ethics involved are so closely intertwined with our own comfort, our own existence. and, damn it, quit writing loosing for losing. when i get caught up, i'll write you a long and tedious dissection. hope all is
well with liz and shayna and katie and john and etc. love, richard
actually, i don't give a damn for the ethics. i want you to get a kidney and go back to eating enchiladas and out live me by many years.

Jack Nowicki said...

Richard, My friend: I am so happy you are reviewing the blog. Ever since we were in White's Creative Writing class (circa '71?) I have thought highly of your limited writing skills.

Contradictions in my thought? I am sure there are many, since the whole thing is pretty much stream of consciousness... and as we both know, my consciousness is like swiss cheese. After reading your slant on organ recipients I didn't realize I was more for do-gooders than athletes. I love athletes even more that do-gooders, I thought... especially those named Nowicki.

I do agree with you that ethics are a different type of enterprise when we are immersed in a simmering vat of them, like Eli Wallach soaking of his thing in the vat of oil in Circle of Iron. Even Joseph Fletcher admitted that ethics is easier to pontificate about when you're not in the throws of a dilemma.

Thanks for participating in my Blog, buddie. JN